This is a favorite recipe that has been in our family for over 20 years. My aunt taught me how to make it when I was 12 years old and I am still making it today. —Jhana Seidler, Venice, Florida
81 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Line a 9-in.-square pan with foil; grease foil with 1 teaspoon
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugars, milk, corn syrup and salt.
- Bring to a rapid boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook,
- without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 234°
- (soft-ball stage). Remove from heat. Add vanilla and remaining
- butter to pan (do not stir).
- Cool, without stirring, to 110°, about 40 minutes. Beat with a
- spoon until fudge just begins to thicken. Add walnuts; continue
- beating until fudge becomes very thick and just begins to lose its
- sheen (about 10 minutes total). Immediately spread into prepared
- pan. Cool.
- Using foil, lift fudge out of pan. Remove foil; cut fudge into 1-in.
- squares. Store between layers of waxed paper in airtight containers.