- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugars, cream, corn syrup, lemon juice and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Hold at soft-ball stage for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Add butter; do not stir. Cool to 110°. Stir in vanilla; beat vigorously by hand until mixture is very thick and slightly lighter in color, about 20 minutes. Quickly stir in pecans, then pour into a greased 8-in. square pan. Cool. Cut into 1-in. squares. Yield: 1-3/4 pounds.
Originally published as Penuche in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1997, p39
Reviews for Penuche
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 28, 2009
This is the recipe I have been looking for! You can't find good Penuche in the "candy" stores selling fudge..Thank you
Reviewed Oct. 3, 2009
My mother-in-law use to make this but it was a white fudge. How do I change this or will it not be penuche anymore.