Not all apple cakes are the same. This one is the perfect mix of sweet apple and spiced chocolate crumb. —Silvana Nardone, Brooklyn, New York
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons gluten-free all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (1-1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large apples, cored, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly grease a 9-in. round baking or springform pan. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 2 teaspoons flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, chocolate chips, walnuts and cinnamon.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the oil and vanilla. Stir into the flour mixture until just combined. Pour half the batter into prepared pan, top with half the apples and half the crumb mixture; repeat with the remaining batter, apples and crumb mixture. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Penny's Apple Brown Sugar Coffee Cake in Taste of Home October/November 2010, p107
Reviews for Penny's Apple Brown Sugar Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review