- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons gluten-free all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (1-1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons pure McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 large apples, cored, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly grease a 9-in. round baking or springform pan. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 2 teaspoons flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, chocolate chips, walnuts and cinnamon.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the oil and vanilla. Stir into the flour mixture until just combined. Pour half the batter into prepared pan, top with half the apples and half the crumb mixture; repeat with the remaining batter, apples and crumb mixture. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Penny's Apple Brown Sugar Coffee Cake
Sort By :
"Family loved this apple coffee cake. Will keep in my folder for future.@ Mousemom2000 - go to search on TOH and type in crumb coffee cake. You will get about a dozen different recipes for it without using apples."
"How can I omit the apples? I want it to be more of a crumb cake without apples. Would I have to add in something to make up for the moisture of the apples?"
"Hi, New to this type of baking, but do you not have to add Xanthan gum to the recipe or is it in the flour already?"
"Amazing fall flavor. Cake came together easily and tasted great."
"My husband who is doing a gluten free diet LOVED this coffee cake as a breakfast/mid morn snack. I used Silvana's awesome flour blend recipe from her book, Cooking for Isaiah, which I highly recommend for those with gluten or dairy allergies or sensitivities. All purpose gluten free flour does not contain xanthan gum and must be added to recipes for stability."