Pennsylvania Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), halved
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 medium red potatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 7 to 8 fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Browning sauce, optional
- 1. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add the broth, onions and seasonings. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Add the potatoes, carrots and mushrooms. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Remove the meat and vegetables; keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir in 1-1/2 cups cooking juices. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add browning sauce if desired. Serve with roast and vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 331 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 490 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.