Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Doughnuts
My relatives have been making these tasty doughnuts for years. The potatoes keep them moist, and the glaze provides just the right amount of sweetness. —Marlene Reichart, Leesport, Pennsylvania
48 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2-1/2 cups mashed potatoes or riced potatoes (without added milk, butter or seasonings)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, milk, eggs and butter. Combine
- the sugar, baking powder and 2 cups flour; stir into potato mixture.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Divide dough in
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll each half to 1/2-in.
- thickness. Cut with a 2-3/4-in. doughnut cutter.