Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Doughnuts Recipe
My relatives have been making these tasty doughnuts for years. The potatoes keep them moist, and the glaze provides just the right amount of sweetness. —Marlene Reichart, Leesport, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 50 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 2-1/2 cups mashed potatoes or riced potatoes (without added milk, butter or seasonings)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, milk, eggs and butter. Combine the sugar, baking powder and 2 cups flour; stir into potato mixture. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Divide dough in half.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll each half to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-3/4-in. doughnut cutter.
- 3. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm doughnuts. Yield: about 4 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC