- 2-1/2 cups mashed potatoes or riced potatoes (without added milk, butter or seasonings)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, milk, eggs and butter. Combine the sugar, baking powder and 2 cups flour; stir into potato mixture. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Divide dough in half.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll each half to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-3/4-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm doughnuts. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Doughnuts in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p50
Reviews for Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Doughnuts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 13, 2012