VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 cups mashed potatoes or riced potatoes (without added milk, butter or seasonings)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, milk, eggs and butter. Combine the sugar, baking powder and 2 cups flour; stir into potato mixture. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half. Turn each half onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-3/4-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over warm doughnuts. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Doughnuts in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p50
Reviews forPennsylvania Dutch Potato Doughnuts
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 19, 2015
"Cups? How many ml is that?"
Reviewed May. 13, 2012