Pennsylvania Dutch Cucumbers Recipe
"MY MOM'S SIDE of the family was German and Irish. Settling in Pennsylvania, they adopted some of the cooking and customs of the Pennsylvania Dutch. This is a Dutch dish Mom loved, and today it's my favorite garden salad...the blend of crisp cucumbers and homegrown tomatoes is wonderful!"
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:6 servings
- 3 to 4 small cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch sugar
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Slice tomatoes, optional
- 1. Peel cucumbers; slice paper-thin into a bowl. Sprinkle with salt; cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- 2. Rinse and drain cucumbers. Pat gently to press out excess liquid. In a large bowl, combine cucumbers and onion; set aside. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, vinegar, chives, dill seed, pepper and sugar.
- 3. Just before serving, add dressing to cucumbers; toss to coat. Arrange lettuce and tomatoes in a serving bowl if desired. Top with cucumbers Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 61 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 406 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC