"MY MOM'S SIDE of the family was German and Irish. Settling in Pennsylvania, they adopted some of the cooking and customs of the Pennsylvania Dutch. This is a Dutch dish Mom loved, and today it's my favorite garden salad...the blend of crisp cucumbers and homegrown tomatoes is wonderful!"
Recommended: 4 Father's Day Menus That Are Way Better Than a Tie
- 3 to 4 small cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch sugar
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Slice tomatoes, optional
- Peel cucumbers; slice paper-thin into a bowl. Sprinkle with salt; cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Rinse and drain cucumbers. Pat gently to press out excess liquid. In a large bowl, combine cucumbers and onion; set aside. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, vinegar, chives, dill seed, pepper and sugar.
- Just before serving, add dressing to cucumbers; toss to coat. Arrange lettuce and tomatoes in a serving bowl if desired. Top with cucumbers Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pennsylvania Dutch Cucumbers in Reminisce Extra August 1993, p47
Reviews for Pennsylvania Dutch Cucumbers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 24, 2011
"definately reminded me of my younger days when my grandmother made them for us Yum"