Pennsylvania Dutch Apple Butter
You can spread Diane Widmer's apple butter on thick and still enjoy a breakfast that's thin on calories. She shared the recipe from her home in Blue Island, Illinois. For a smoother texture, use tender varieties such as McIntosh or Cortland apples.
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple cider or juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 medium apples, peeled and quartered (3 pounds)
- Place the apple juice, sugar, cinnamon and cloves in a blender; cover
- and process until blended. Adding 3-4 apple pieces at a time, cover
- and process until smooth.
- Pour into a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook
- over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer or until thickened. Store in
- airtight containers in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2 tablespoons) equals 66 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit.