Penne with Veggies and Black Beans Recipe
- 3/4 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1/3 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 4 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 small green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the zucchini, carrot, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, garlic and seasonings in 1 teaspoon oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the beans.
- 2. Drain pasta; add to vegetable mixture. Add tomato and remaining olive oil; toss gently. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/3 cup equals 300 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 643 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.