Chock-full of zucchini, tomatoes, sweet pepper and carrots, this hearty pasta dish puts your garden harvest to good use. For variety, I sometimes add one-half cup of salsa or one-half cup of thickened teriyaki sauce, writes Vickie Spoerle of Indianapolis, Indiana.
- 3/4 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1/3 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 4 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 small green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the zucchini, carrot, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, garlic and seasonings in 1 teaspoon oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the beans.
- Drain pasta; add to vegetable mixture. Add tomato and remaining olive oil; toss gently. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Penne with Veggies 'N' Black Beans in Cooking for 2 Summer 2009, p45
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Penne with Veggies and Black Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 9, 2010
"This an excellent quick & easy meal for 2."