- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 6 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook onion in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently and adding the garlic during the last 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook penne according to package directions. In a Dutch oven, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add kale; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Drain penne; drizzle with remaining oil. Stir the salt, penne and kale into the onion mixture; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Penne with Kale and Onion
Sort By :
The onion was way too over powering. Maybe half of an onion?? I'm going to add some beans or meat to the leftovers tonight (since I don't want to throw it all away) hoping that bulking it up with something will take away from the onion flavor.
Wonderful! I made this for a family gathering and everyone loved it! I believe this would be good as a main meal ~ add some Italian sausage and tomatoes...double yum!
Good basic recipe. I added some chopped fresh tomatoes for a few minutes at the end and topped with Parmesan, as others suggested.
Tastes really good but I agree in that it needs a little something extra such as shredded Parmesan, grape tomatoes, and/or chicken. It was a great change from my normal pasta meals.
This is one of my favorite recipes; I make it all the time. It is so simple yet so good! I usually make it more of a "dinner" by by adding 3/4 lb of browned bulk italian sausage. I also recently tried just throwing the kale in the same pan as the garlic & onions and letting it cook there (in order to save the extra pot and time) and this has worked just fine. I also occasionally toss in halved grape tomatoes in towards the end, which is very good.
More Recipe Collections
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >