Penne with Kale and Onion
“I love kale; my husband hates it. But when I swapped it into a favorite penne-with-spinach recipe, it was so delicious, he asked for seconds!”
Kimberly Hammond - Kingwood, TX
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 cups uncooked Daily Chef Penne Rigate
Give flavor to your favorite Italian meals with premium Daily Chef Pasta.
Learn More >
- 6 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook onion in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat
- for 15-20 minutes or until onion is golden brown, stirring
- frequently and adding the garlic during the last 2 minutes of
- cooking time.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook penne according to package
- directions. In a Dutch oven, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add
- kale; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Drain penne; drizzle with remaining oil. Stir the salt, penne and
- kale into the onion mixture; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 191 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 206 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.