- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 6 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook onion in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently and adding the garlic during the last 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook penne according to package directions. In a Dutch oven, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add kale; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Drain penne; drizzle with remaining oil. Stir the salt, penne and kale into the onion mixture; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Penne with Kale and Onion
Sort By :
"Very good. I used less onion and garlic, but it was still a clever way to make kale enjoyable."
"My husband hates Kale but when another reviewer said her husband who hated Kale, loved this dish, it got my wheels turning. I added, homemade spaghetti sauce, cooked ground turkey and Gorgonzola cheese, his favorite. He wanted to know the name for this dish so I will have to come up with something clever, for future reference. BTW. just the two of us could have eaten the whole casserole, but I saved some for lunch. Thanks so much."
"Added a little Parmesan and yes! It was yummy!!"
"The onion was way too over powering. Maybe half of an onion?? I'm going to add some beans or meat to the leftovers tonight (since I don't want to throw it all away) hoping that bulking it up with something will take away from the onion flavor."
"Wonderful! I made this for a family gathering and everyone loved it! I believe this would be good as a main meal ~ add some Italian sausage and tomatoes...double yum!"