Penne with Caramelized Onions Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 pitted Greek olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute pine nuts and garlic in butter until golden brown; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook onion in oil over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the olives, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Drain pasta; add to onion mixture. Stir in feta cheese and pine nut mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 374 calories, 22g fat (6g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 627mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Penne with Caramelized Onions
"This was incredibly easy to make, and delicious too!"
"This is a family favorite. I use a whole container of feta, the more cheese the better."
"Delicious, presents nice and easy to make. I used a bit more pasta and feta cheese the first time I made it, next time I think I'm also going to add more onion (1/2 to 1 whole) and cut it into long slices as opposed to chopping it, so it is more prominent."
"This was excellent. I used a little more pasta, and increased the feta to about 1 full cup. Even my husband, who generally doesn't like feta and Greek olives, really enjoyed."