Penne Sausage Bake
"This hearty pasta dish was inspired by the delicious sausage rolls served at our favorite Italian restaurant," relates Vicky Benscoter of Birmingham, Alabama. "I serve if frequently for supper since it's easy to prepare and my husband thinks it's great!"
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked penne pasta
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 3 cups fat-free meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large
- skillet, saute green pepper and onion in oil for 6-7 minutes. Add
- sausage; cook and stir until sausage is no longer pink. Drain. Stir
- in the spaghetti sauce and pasta.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and
- bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 9
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 276 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 948 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.