Penne Sausage Bake Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked penne pasta
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 3 cups fat-free meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large skillet, saute green pepper and onion in oil for 6-7 minutes. Add sausage; cook and stir until sausage is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce and pasta.
- 2. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 9 servings.
1 cup: 276 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 948mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
Reviews for Penne Sausage Bake
"Very good and easy to make."
"This was relatively quick to make, but the result was a dish that seemed like a lot of time went into. It was delicious and my husband had seconds (and we had leftovers for lunch). I will definitely be making this again!"
"This is definitely a keeper. This made a 9x13 pan for me although I didn't measure everything exactly just threw stuff in. I'll double the green peppers next time and add some mushrooms. I added some ground pepper, just a personal preference."
"Very satisfying and tasty. This is a great fall/winter dish."
"Have made this recipe many times for family & company, it is delicious! The only change I made was to use my own homemade tomato sauce.*****"
"Good recipe! Our family of four liked this, and It made enough that I can freeze half the casserole for another night. I will probably try adding minced garlic clove next time."
"I have made this recipe multiple times and it comes out great every time. However I use pork sausage. It's a pretty big recipe, if you use leftover just add a little pasta sauce and it's good to go."
"I wasn't able to find the Italian Turkey sausages so just used sweet italian sausage. It added a bit more fat, but it was a great dish and so easy to make."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.