Penne Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), cut in half
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, bring the water, wine and bouillon to a boil. Reduce heat; carefully add chicken. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Remove chicken from the pan, reserving the cooking liquid; set chicken aside to cool slightly. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes and shallots to the cooking liquid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Combine the cornstarch, milk, tomato paste and salt until smooth; stir into the pan until blended. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Shred chicken with two forks; add to the sauce. Drain pasta; add to sauce. Add the cheese, peas and basil; cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 281 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 739 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.