Penne Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), cut in half
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- In a large nonstick skillet, bring the water, wine and bouillon to a boil. Reduce heat; carefully add chicken. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Remove chicken from the pan, reserving the cooking liquid; set chicken aside to cool slightly. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes and shallots to the cooking liquid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Combine the cornstarch, milk, tomato paste and salt until smooth; stir into the pan until blended. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Shred chicken with two forks; add to the sauce. Drain pasta; add to sauce. Add the cheese, peas and basil; cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Penne Chicken(1)
Sort By :
This recipe was good, however I won't make it again. After purchasing fairly expensive sun-dried tomatoes, I was disappointed how their flavor was diluted during the cooking process. Also, my husband doesn't like cream sauces, and he picked up on the milk that was added to the recipe. When it came time to add the peas, I just couldn't do it. They didn't seem to fit with the dish.
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Chicken Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >