Penne Beef Bake Recipe
- 1 package (12 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat Alfredo sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1. Cook penne according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, zucchini, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, Alfredo sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and garlic powder. Drain penne; stir into meat mixture.
- 2. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/3 cups: 395 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 805mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for Penne Beef Bake
"Super easy! I was going to give this 4 stars but it tastes even better the next day! Love the addition of zucchini."
"I just tried this recipe with the family and Yum. We really like our veggies, so I added cut up frozen broccoli, corn and mushrooms. This is a definite keeper. Will make a lot."
"My family is vegetarian. I used a meat substitute in place of the ground beef. In addition I added finely chopped mushrooms to the vegetables. It was delicious. This is one of our new favorite recipes!"
"I us low fat cheddar as a topping."
"I made this last night with ground turkey, Newman's tomato and basil sauce, Classico light alfredo sauce and whole wheat pasta. I kept all of the other ingredients the same. It was absolutely delicious!"
"This is only the second TOH recipe that I've rated this low. I admit, it could've been because I used the wrong spaghetti sauce, or because I used 80% lean beef...or...? Usually, though, things don't turn out this disastrous. It tasted so bad and bland that I couldn't even choke it down. I am giving it to the dog (don't worry...he loves pasta, and is a healthy, happy 14 year old who hikes a few miles with me each day)."
"Great to make after a busy day at work."
"Very good! Family didn't even notice the hidden veggies."
"This recipe was very easy and very good. I added more zucchini, a little corn, and used fresh garlic, as well. I shared this recipe with friends and they loved it, too!"
"Super yummy for the whole family with lots of veggies snuck in:)"