Penne Beef Bake Recipe
- 1 package (12 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat Alfredo sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1. Cook penne according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, zucchini, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, Alfredo sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and garlic powder. Drain penne; stir into meat mixture.
- 2. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/3 cups: 395 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 805mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein Diabetic Exchanges:3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
Reviews for Penne Beef Bake
"Super easy! I was going to give this 4 stars but it tastes even better the next day! Love the addition of zucchini."
"I just tried this recipe with the family and Yum. We really like our veggies, so I added cut up frozen broccoli, corn and mushrooms. This is a definite keeper. Will make a lot."
"My family is vegetarian. I used a meat substitute in place of the ground beef. In addition I added finely chopped mushrooms to the vegetables. It was delicious. This is one of our new favorite recipes!"
"I us low fat cheddar as a topping."
"I made this last night with ground turkey, Newman's tomato and basil sauce, Classico light alfredo sauce and whole wheat pasta. I kept all of the other ingredients the same. It was absolutely delicious!"
"Wonderful recipe. Very clever and good taste with the zucchini. Easy also, just make sure you buy right sauces. Serve with salad and garlic bread. Great dinner."
"This is only the second TOH recipe that I've rated this low. I admit, it could've been because I used the wrong spaghetti sauce, or because I used 80% lean beef...or...? Usually, though, things don't turn out this disastrous. It tasted so bad and bland that I couldn't even choke it down. I am giving it to the dog (don't worry...he loves pasta, and is a healthy, happy 14 year old who hikes a few miles with me each day)."
"Great to make after a busy day at work."
"Very good! Family didn't even notice the hidden veggies."
"This recipe was very easy and very good. I added more zucchini, a little corn, and used fresh garlic, as well. I shared this recipe with friends and they loved it, too!"
"Super yummy for the whole family with lots of veggies snuck in:)"