Cheese, sausage and mushrooms make this casserole a consistent hit. It comes together quickly and feeds a crowd, too. —John Venturino, Concord, California
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or beef broth, divided
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic and oregano; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in 1 cup wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, sausage and remaining wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain pasta. Spread 1/2 cup sauce in each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Divide half of the pasta between the dishes; layer each with 2-1/2 cups sauce and 1 cup each of the cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
Originally published as Penne & Sausage Casseroles in Taste of Home June/July 2009, p62
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Penne & Sausage Casseroles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review