Penguin Veggie Platter
An eye-catching eggplant penguin is sure to encourage guests to sample the colorful appetizer. The dapper fellow watches over a platter of fresh vegetables and a creamy dip flecked with crunchy bits of green and sweet red pepper.
16 ServingsPrep: 40 min. + chilling
- 1 large sweet red pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper
- 3 tablespoons whipped cream cheese
- 2 raisins
- Broccoli florets, cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers and carrots or vegetables of your choice
- Chop a fourth of the red pepper; set aside. Cut a piece of red pepper
- into a bow tie shape; slice remaining pepper and set aside. In a
- bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, salad dressing mix and
- chopped red and green peppers; mix well. Refrigerate until serving.
- Cut a thin slice off the bottom of the eggplant to make a flat
- surface. Cut the removed section into two slices for flippers. Break
- a wooden toothpick in half; press one piece into each side of whole
- eggplant and gently press flippers onto toothpicks.
- Cut yellow pepper in half; cut one piece into two feet. Place at base
- of eggplant. From remaining yellow pepper, cut out a 1-in. x 3/4-in.