The inspiration for this cake came from one of my favorite flowers, the sunflower. The yellow peeps make eye-catching flower petals, and I carefully placed chocolate chips in a circular pattern to resemble the seeds in the middle of a sunflower. This cake is easy, but looks quite impressive. —Bethany Eledge, Cleveland, Tennessee
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chocolate frosting
- 19 to 20 yellow chick Peeps candies
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (assorted sizes)
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using two parchment paper-lined and greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- If cake layers have rounded tops, trim with a long serrated knife to make level. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- For petals, arrange Peeps around edge of cake, curving slightly and being careful not to separate chicks. For sunflower seeds, arrange chocolate chips in center of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Peeps Sunflower Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2008, p67
Reviews for Peeps Sunflower Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 10, 2016
"Went over GREAT at Easter!! Had fun making it, too!"
Reviewed Apr. 6, 2016
Reviewed Mar. 27, 2016
"Oh so fun & fabulous for Easter!- Theresa"
Reviewed Sep. 14, 2015
"I have made this cake several times. It is so simple, but so darn cute!"
Reviewed Apr. 11, 2015
"I used my own cake recipe but this was a cute presentation."