Pecan Turtles Recipe
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 pounds Diamond of California Pecan Halves, toasted
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- Line baking sheets with waxed paper; lightly coat with cooking spray and set aside. Butter the sides of a heavy saucepan with 1 teaspoon butter. Cube remaining butter; place in pan. Add the corn syrup, brown sugar and salt. Cook and stir until sugar is melted.
- Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage), about 16 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Gently stir in pecans. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 12 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over clusters. Chill until firm. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Reviews for Pecan Turtles(4)
Sort By :
Only problem I had with the recipe is that the caramel mix was so hot it melted the wax paper and took me a while to get these unstuck. But it was worth every minute. Made these for after Xmas treats for the neighbors and had rave reviews from all 8 families. Kudos
This is a very simple recipe!! My suggestion is to roughly chop about half of the pecans. The caramel has more places to stick to and doesn't spread quite as much. Also let it cool in the pan for a minute or two before you start scooping. I use my cookie scoop to make semi uniform clusters. Definetly a keeper!!
Like the ability to not have too many ingred.
Just finished making another batch of these goodies for a holiday exchange. I put them in Christmas mini muffin liners. They are always yummy and a special treat!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Candy Recipes >
- Chocolate Candy Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Candy >
- Christmas Candy >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Holiday Candy >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pecan Recipes >
- Potluck Desserts >