Pecan-Topped Sweet Potatoes Recipe
My mother-in-law gave me this fantastic recipe, and I like it even more every time I taste it. Vanilla and almond extract add a new twist to a classic dish.—Elizabeth Hill, Dalton, Georgia
- 6 medium sweet potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal, crushed
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan. or Dutch oven; cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for 30-45 minutes or until tender. drain; cool slightly and peel. In a large bowl, mash the potato pulp. Stir in the sugar, milk, butter, eggs and extracts.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over the potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 8-10 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC