My mother-in-law gave me this fantastic recipe, and I like it even more every time I taste it. Vanilla and almond extract add a new twist to a classic dish.—Elizabeth Hill, Dalton, Georgia
- 6 medium sweet potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal, crushed
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan. or Dutch oven; cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for 30-45 minutes or until tender. drain; cool slightly and peel. In a large bowl, mash the potato pulp. Stir in the sugar, milk, butter, eggs and extracts.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over the potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Pecan-Topped Sweet Potatoes in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p232
Reviews for Pecan-Topped Sweet Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 25, 2010
"I have made this recipe for the last three years for Thanksgiving and am always asked for the recipe. It is excellent! I whip the potatoes really good and also make extra topping, because I like the extra crunch on top. Enjoy!"