Pecan-Topped Carrot Pie
People are often surprised to learn that carrots are the main ingredient in this tasty dessert. It's a different twist! —Darlene King, Estevan, Saskatchewan
6-8 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 4 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Add 1 in. of water to a large saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook for 9-11 minutes or until tender. Drain
- and cool.
- Place the carrots, milk, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and salt
- in a blender. Cover and process until pureed; process 1 minute
- longer. Pour into pastry shell. Combine the pecans, brown sugar and
- butter; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the
- center comes out clean and edges are browned. (Cover edges of crust
- with foil during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning if
- necessary.) Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8