- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide into three portions. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 16x9-in. rectangle. Combine pecans and sugar; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up each rectangle tightly, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Unwrap and cut into 3/8-in. slices. Place 2-in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 7 dozen.
Reviews for Pecan Swirls
"Not worth the effort. Difficult to roll and slice neatly."
"These were labor intensive and the dough was difficult to roll. If you try this recipe I suggest rolling the dough between sheets of wax paper because it gets sticky very quickly once you take it out of the fridge. Much of the nut/sugar filling was falling out as I was slicing - probably because it was so difficult to make a tight roll with this dough. After all that effort the cookies were bland. Won't make these again."
"Time consuming but worth the effort. Absolutely delicious. I find it easier to make over the course of 3 days. Instead of just refrigerating for 2 hour periods, I refrigerate overnight."
"I struggled trying to roll and slice these. Mine didn't turn out nearly as pretty as the photo...but the taste was great! I'll be making them again!"
"These have to be my very favorite cookie. I always have a hard time rolling them, but they're well worth the effort."