- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, oats, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Arrange pecans over batter.
- For topping, combine sugar and orange peel. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Pecan Sunrise Coffee Cake in Simple & Delicious November/December 2006, p61
Reviews for Pecan Sunrise Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 31, 2011
"I made this for my parents and served it with coffee. It was great - not too sweet. I didn't have grated orange peel so I substituted 1-1/2 tsp. cinnmon instead. It came out great."