This sweet's a long-standing star at Denise Goedeken's house in Platte Center, Nebraska. "I was in first grade when I found it," she recalls. "I was compiling recipes in a 'Cookbook' for Mom, and it seemed perfect. It's our top family treat to this day.—Denise Goedeken, Platte Center, Nebraska
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon each vanilla and almond extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups ground pecans
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and extracts; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Roll out onto a lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into 3-in. stars. Combine filling ingredients; place 1/2 teaspoonful in center of each star. Bring the five points upright; starting at base, pinch sides together so points of star stand up, allowing filling to show. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Pecan Stars in Country Woman November/December 1995, p39
Reviews for Pecan Stars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review