I love the sweet, nutty flavor that pecan wood chips give to a brined turkey. Use the grill or a smoker to bring out this marvelous flavor. —Wendy Gales, Jacksonville, Florida
Recommended: Thanksgiving Recipes for the Slow Cooker
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon each dried sage, thyme, savory and rosemary, crushed
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 turkey-size oven roasting bags
- 4 cups soaked pecan wood chips
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 12 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine broth, salt, bay leaves and dried herbs. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until salt is dissolved. Remove from heat. Add cold water to cool the brine to room temperature.
- Place one oven roasting bag inside the other. Place turkey inside both bags; pour in cooled brine. Seal bags, pressing out as much air as possible; turn to coat turkey. Place in a shallow roasting pan. Refrigerate 18-24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Add wood chips to grill according to manufacturer's directions. In a small bowl, mix onion, parsley, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon oil, lemon juice, sage and pepper.
- Remove turkey from brine; rinse and pat dry. Discard brine. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub herb mixture under the skin. In another bowl, mix remaining butter and oil; rub over outside of turkey. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- Place turkey over drip pan, breast side up. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat 1 hour. Tent turkey with foil; grill 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Cover and let stand 20 minutes before carving. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Pecan-Smoked Turkey in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p49
Reviews for Pecan-Smoked Turkey
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review