I concocted my own recipe for these delectable Southern sweets by adjusting several others I tried. My family thinks these pralines have the perfect texture and just the right taste. Packaged in colorful tins, they make great gifts.
-Pat Stevens, Granbury, Texas
24 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 15 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 8 large marshmallows
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash ground cinnamon
- Lightly butter two baking sheets or line with waxed paper; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugars, milk and marshmallows. Cook and
- stir over low heat until marshmallows are completely melted. Cook
- over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer
- reads 234°-240° (soft-ball stage).
- Without stirring or scraping, pour hot liquid into another saucepan.
- Add the pecans, butter, vanilla and cinnamon. Stir rapidly until
- mixture is thickened and creamy, about 3 minutes. Drop quickly by
- rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared pans. Flatten slightly. Let
- stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 158 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 19 mg sodium,