- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until crust edges are beginning to brown and bottom is set.
- For filling, combine the eggs, sugar, corn syrup, butter and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir in pecans. Pour over crust.
- Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until edges are firm and center is almost set. Cool on wire racks. Cut into bars. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 6-8 dozen.
Reviews for Pecan Pie Bars for a Crowd
"Delicious, freezes well"
"I made a "half" recipe- just the right amount of crust to filling. The freeze well too"
"This was the best recipe in place of pecan pie, which met with a 100% approval rating!"
"I cut in half also for one large pan. They were perfect. Love them."
"There was way too much flour in this recipe - I spent around 45 minutes 'cutting' the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter. I thought my arm was gonna fall off! I even added 6 tbsp of ice cold water to it, but that didn't help. I substituted 1/2 sugar & 1/2 Splenda in both the pastry & the filling & I used LITE corn syrup, since we have a bunch of diabetics in the family. The real workout was cutting the squares out of the heavy duty cookie sheets - then my arm did fall off! In the end, they were really good, but too hard of a workout for me!"
"Excellent taste. Took to 3 different get togethers. Everyone loved it. I cut the recipe in half. Next time I may try an extra Tbl of butter for the crust. It was very crumbly when trying to press in the pan. I'll be making this for cookie trays at Christmas. Great old recipe."
"Very good! I used three 9x13 " pans and it fit perfectly."
"I cut the recipe by 1/2. These were delicious, like much better than a pecan pie."
"Disappointed in these, but I will try again. I'll use less flour as suggested in the crust and I'll add some molasses and a bit of salt for flavor in the filling. Wish I had made slightly less filling also as doluco suggested. Did not over flow but came VERY close. I will re-rate after I make them again."
"The next I make these I'm going to use less flour and put additional salt in the flour and add salt to the filling."