Pecan Pear Bread Recipe
"We have almost 50 fruit trees on our country property, including five pear trees," notes Margaret Slocum of Ridgefield, Washington. "I like to can most of the crop, but I make sure to save some for this moist, mildly spiced bread."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 5 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled pears
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1. In a bowl, combine sugar and oil. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour cream and vanilla; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; add to sour cream mixture and mix well. Stir in pears, pecans and lemon peel.
- 2. Spread into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 226 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 163 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC