Pecan Kringles Recipe
This is a recipe I have had for over 50 years! It is a favorite of my friends and family so I make them as gifts to give.—Betty B. Claycomb, Alverton, Pennsylvania
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in the yeast mixture, milk and egg yolk; beat until smooth (dough will be very soft). Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a well-floured surface; divide in half. Return one portion to the refrigerator. Roll remaining portion into an 18-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Beat egg white until stiff peaks form; brush half down the center of rectangle. Combine pecans and brown sugar; sprinkle half over dough.
- 3. Fold sides of dough over filling, overlapping by 1-1/2 in.; pinch seam to seal. Carefully place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Shape into a U-shape; pinch ends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough, egg white and filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over kringles. Yield: 2 kringles (12 servings each).
1 slice equals 193 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 59 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC