- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 pounds whole pecans
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a large saucepan, combine the first four ingredients. Cook over medium heat until all sugar is dissolved. Gradually add milk; mix well. Continue cooking until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla until blended. Fold in the pecans. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a greased or parchment-lined baking sheets. Chill until firm. Loosen from paper.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl. Drizzle over each cluster. Cool. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Pecan Delights
"These candies remind me of turtles candy. So chocolatey good!"
"so good!!! i think it adds some flavor if you toast the nuts."
"first time making my own caramel. I was very pleased, with the way the pieces turned out. I did use 2 candy thermometers to make sure the temp was correct, They came out prettier and taste better then the expensive store bough."
"I am a TOH field editor and have made them for at least 15 years at Christmas! They are really good and such a treat! I would definitely recommend toasting the pecans!"
"I started making these when I found them in the Taste Of Home magazine. Can't remember what year but I do remember my daughter was a toddler, now she is 15. These have always been a big hit and my friends enjoy getting them as a gift."
"Excellent and easy recipe but it makes closer to 90 turtles than the 48."