Pecan Date Fruitcake Recipe
- 2 pounds pitted dates, quartered
- 1 pound pecan halves (4 cups)
- 1 pound candied cherries, halved (2-1/4 cups)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Grease and line three 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans with waxed paper; set aside. In a large bowl, combine dates, nuts and cherries. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir into fruit mixture until well coated. In a bowl, beat eggs and vanilla until foamy. Fold into fruit mixture and mix well. Pour into prepared pans.
- 2. Bake at 300° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Remove waxed paper. Cool completely before slicing. Wrap and store in a cool dry place. Yield: 3 loaves.
1 slice: 173 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 41mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Pecan Date Fruitcake
"This is great! Mostly fruit and nuts. I will cut back a bit on the dates but am making this in March as I can't wait for Christmas."
"This recipe is fabulous! I bought a fruitcake from one of those "chain kiosks" at the mall, and it was so horrible, that I went looking for a recipe to make at home. I found this one, and plan to make it every year from now on. I changed the fruit ingredients a little bit to suit my own tastes, and the results were everything I hoped for. Love this recipe!"