Pecan Date Fruitcake
My husband grew up in Louisiana and has fond memories of his mother's fruitcake. I make this for him every year to remind him of special times. Pretty slices are an attractive addition.
48 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 2 pounds pitted dates, quartered
- 1 pound pecan halves (4 cups)
- 1 pound candied cherries, halved (2-1/4 cups)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Grease and line three 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans with waxed paper; set
- aside. In a large bowl, combine dates, nuts and cherries. Combine
- the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir into fruit mixture
- until well coated. In a bowl, beat eggs and vanilla until foamy.
- Fold into fruit mixture and mix well. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 300° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks. Remove waxed paper. Cool completely before
- slicing. Wrap and store in a cool dry place. Yield: 3 loaves.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 173 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 41 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.