Pecan Chess Pie Recipe
My favorite hobby is old-fashioned country cooking, but my job sometimes limits my kitchen time. This pie is one enjoyed by my husband and me.—Martha Fautheree, Midway, Texas
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
- Whipped cream
- 1. In a bowl, beat the shortening and water until combined. Add flour and salt; beat until crumbly. Shape into a b all. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Remove to a wire rack; reduce heat to 350°.
- 2. In another bowl, cream the butter, sugar, flour and salt. Add the eggs, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir in the pecans. Pour into prepared crust. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with whipped cream. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 673 calories, 42g fat (14g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 396mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Pecan Chess Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC