After moving from New York to Georgia, I had many opportunities to make pecan pie. This recipe stuns the Southerners when I tell them carrots are the secret ingredient! —Susan Elise Jansen, Smyrna, Georgia
Recommended: 57 Bake Sale Recipes That’ll Earn Big Bucks
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- PECAN TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a saucepan, simmer carrots in water for 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Place carrots and cream in a blender; cover and process until smooth. In a bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, ginger and carrots; mix well. Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes.
- For topping, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in brown sugar until dissolved. Add pecans; stir until coated, about 2 minutes. Spoon over carrot filling. Reduce heat to 325°, bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Pecan Carrot Pie in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p136
Reviews for Pecan Carrot Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review