Pecan Caramels Recipe
I altered the original recipe for these creamy caramels by substituting condensed milk for part of the whipping cream and cutting back on the sugar. Everybody raves about them, and they make a great holiday gift. You can't eat just one! —Patsy Howell, Peru, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:96 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil; grease the foil with butter. Set aside.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and 1 cup cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir until smooth and blended, about 10 minutes. Stir in milk and remaining cream. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage), about 25 minutes.
- 3. Remove from the heat; stir in pecans and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Cool. Using foil, lift candy out of pan; cut into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper. Yield: about 2-1/2 pounds.
1 serving (1 each) equals 66 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 12 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC