Pecan Caramel Chews Recipe
I received this recipe from my aunt who made it every Christmas. Her son now asks me every year for this candy as a Christmas present.—Mary Kay Hilt, Gardner, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:96 servings
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- Dash salt
- 6 cups pecan halves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil; butter the foil. Set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, 1 cup cream and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage).
- 2. Gradually stir in 1 cup cream. Cook until mixture returns to 234°. Gradually add remaining cream. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 240°.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Stir in pecans and vanilla. Quickly pour into prepared pan; cool completely.
- 4. Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into squares. Yield: 3-1/2 pounds.
1 piece equals 99 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC