Pecan Brittle Recipe
This is a favorite of my family. I love making this candy for Christmas.—Fern Newsom, Dubach, Louisiana
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- 2. In a 2-qt. microwave-safe glass dish, combine sugar and corn syrup. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage).
- 3. Add pecans. Microwave for 4 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Mixture will be very hot. Vigorously stir in the baking soda, vanilla and remaining butter until blended.
- 4. Quickly pour into prepared pan; spread with a metal spatula as thin as possible. Cool completely; break into pieces. Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers. Yield: about 1 pound.
1 piece equals 136 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 90 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC