This is a favorite of my family. I love making this candy for Christmas.—Fern Newsom, Dubach, Louisiana
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe glass dish, combine sugar and corn syrup. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage).
- Add pecans. Microwave for 4 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Mixture will be very hot. Vigorously stir in the baking soda, vanilla and remaining butter until blended.
- Quickly pour into prepared pan; spread with a metal spatula as thin as possible. Cool completely; break into pieces. Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers. Yield: about 1 pound.
Originally published as Pecan Brittle in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p69
Reviews for Pecan Brittle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review