Pecan Bread Recipe
I like to have this bread on hand most of the time. It is delicious for morning toast, adding only berry jams and jellies, and great as the base for French toast. Though the recipe looks long, it is actually very simple to make.
- 1-1/8 teaspoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, optional
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the warm milk, honey and oil. Combine the flours, salt and pepper if desired; add 1-1/2 cups to yeast mixture. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in pecans and remaining flour mixture to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Sprinkle cornmeal over a greased baking sheet. Punch dough down. Shape into a round loaf; place on prepared baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Brush milk over loaf. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
1 slice equals 129 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 104 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC