- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- RUM CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon butter flavoring
- In a large bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients. Gently stir in bread and pecans; let stand for 10 minutes or until bread is softened.
- Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small heavy saucepan. Stir in milk and evaporated milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg substitute; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Serve warm with bread pudding. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Pecan Bread Pudding with Rum Custard Sauce in Taste of Home December/January 2012, p55
Reviews for Pecan Bread Pudding with Rum Custard Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 8, 2013
"This is absolutely the best bread pudding I have ever tasted. Be sure to make plenty of sauce. I'm not a big nut fan, so I omitted the pecans."