Pecan Bread Pudding with Rum Custard Sauce Recipe
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- RUM CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients. Gently stir in bread and pecans; let stand for 10 minutes or until bread is softened.
- 2. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. For sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small heavy saucepan. Stir in milk and evaporated milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 4. Remove from the heat. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg substitute; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Serve warm with bread pudding. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce).
3/4 cup pudding with 1/4 cup sauce equals 286 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 455 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Reviews for Pecan Bread Pudding with Rum Custard Sauce
"This is absolutely the best bread pudding I have ever tasted. Be sure to make plenty of sauce. I'm not a big nut fan, so I omitted the pecans."