- 1-1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, optional
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the warm milk, honey and oil. Combine the flours, salt and pepper if desired; add 1-1/2 cups to yeast mixture. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in pecans and remaining flour mixture to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle cornmeal over a greased baking sheet. Punch dough down. Shape into a round loaf; place on prepared baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush milk over loaf. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Nutty Whole Wheat Bread in Reminisce October/November 2008, p50
Reviews for Pecan Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baking Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pecan Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >