Pecan Apple Strudel Recipe
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cut butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sour cream and salt. Shape the dough into a ball; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. For filling, combine bread crumbs and butter. Add apples, sugar, raisins, pecans and cinnamon; set aside.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Divide dough into thirds; turn onto a floured surface. Roll each into a 15x12-in. rectangle. Spoon filling evenly onto dough; spread to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up from a long side; pinch seams and ends to seal.
- 4. Carefully place each loaf seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 55-60 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire racks. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 3 strudels (12 slices each).
1 slice: 192 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Pecan Apple Strudel
"My favorite strudel recipe. I find the dough very easy to work with and I love the generous amount of filling. I made a double batch last night which I froze before baking and will be baking later to add to a catering job I have. I love that this keeps so well. I do usually add a powdered sugar glaze to mine when it comes out of the oven. Just makes it extra yummy. I love that it is such an easy recipe and yet is so delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe!"
"I have made many strudels and this one is the best! I also used splenda to make it for my diabetic husband and it was also really good. I did freeze some as my apples were near their end. It was good when defrosted but the apples were a little soggy. That could probably be solved by heating it up a bit."
"undecided if i'd make again...too much filling for the amount of dough. need to have a fair amount of flour on surface, if not dough sticks and you are unaware until you start rolling up. Dough split open during baking. I had about 2 cups of leftover filling that was tossed. wasteful."
"My husband (& everyone else) loved it!! The recipe makes a very generous amount and next time I plan to split the dough in quarters and use walnuts. Definitely will continue to enjoy this pleasant blend of comforting flavors and aromas again!"
"I made this for my book club and it was so good any leftovers I had my son took care of before I even had a chance to put away. Thanks for such an awsome recipe!!!"
"I use fruit preserves sometimes instead of the apples. I add nuts and raisins."
"Can this strudel be frozen until needed. I made one on Wednesday and want to serve it on Saturday?"