Pecan Apple Strudel Recipe
This is one of my favorite recipes during autumn. The aroma of this dessert baking on a cool, crisp day is absolutely wonderful.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cut butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sour cream and salt. Shape the dough into a ball; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. For filling, combine bread crumbs and butter. Add apples, sugar, raisins, pecans and cinnamon; set aside.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Divide dough into thirds; turn onto a floured surface. Roll each into a 15x12-in. rectangle. Spoon filling evenly onto dough; spread to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up from a long side; pinch seams and ends to seal.
- 4. Carefully place each loaf seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 55-60 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire racks. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 3 strudels (12 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 192 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC