Pecan Apple Kringle Recipe
My mother-in-law shared this pastry recipe with me a while back. Fresh from the oven, it makes a tasty Sunday breakfast when served with fresh fruit.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg, separated
- 3/4 cup finely chopped peeled apple
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in the yeast mixture, milk and egg yolk; beat until smooth (dough will be very soft). Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a well-floured surface; divide in half. Refrigerate one portion. Roll remaining portion into an 18-in. x 6-in. rectangle. In a small bowl, beat egg white until stiff peaks form; brush half down the center of rectangle. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle half over egg white.
- 3. Fold long sides of dough over filling, overlapping by 1-1/2 in.; pinch seam to seal. Carefully place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Shape into a horseshoe; pinch ends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough, egg white and filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. For glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar, water and vanilla; spread over kringles. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 2 kringles (6 slices each).
1 serving equals 270 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC