- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg, separated
- 3/4 cup finely chopped peeled apple
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in the yeast mixture, milk and egg yolk; beat until smooth (dough will be very soft). Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a well-floured surface; divide in half. Refrigerate one portion. Roll remaining portion into an 18-in. x 6-in. rectangle. In a small bowl, beat egg white until stiff peaks form; brush half down the center of rectangle. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle half over egg white.
- Fold long sides of dough over filling, overlapping by 1-1/2 in.; pinch seam to seal. Carefully place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Shape into a horseshoe; pinch ends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough, egg white and filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. For glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar, water and vanilla; spread over kringles. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 2 kringles (6 slices each).
Originally published as Pecan Apple Kringle in Taste of Home Christmas Country Style 2008 2008, p19
Reviews for Pecan Apple Kringle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review