Pecan Angel Food Cake
Chopped pecans add a deliciously nutty flavor and texture to angel food cake. It's a unique variation from plain angel food.
12-16 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
- Whipped cream, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for
- 30 minutes. Sift flour twice; set aside. Add cream of tartar and
- vanilla to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high
- until stiff glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour, about 1/4
- cup at a time. Fold in pecans.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter
- with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at
- 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top
- appears dry.
- Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife
- around side and center tube of pan; remove cake. Serve with whipped
- cream if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.